Sunday, April 19, 2009

Easter Peeps Cupcakes



Hey, I know this is late, but I'm a busy student! Last week I went home for Easter and made these adorable cupcakes with the help of my mom and little brother. They're carrot cake with cream cheese frosting, topped with a Peep bunny and jelly beans. Adorable + delicious! I did have a lot of trouble with getting the frosting stiff enough. I wasn't really paying attention and used a recipe for cream cheese frosting that was pretty goopy & not good at all for piping grass-like frosting. I ended up adding tons of powdered sugar to help it stay up (no time to run to the store and get meringue powder) but the frosting thankfully never got too sweet.


An army of peeps!


Chocolate mousse peeps are the bomb.

I obviously ended up with a lot of extra cupcakes (24 for 6 people???) and came up with a cute little way to bag them up and hand them out. I cut off the tops of brown paper bags, which fit 2 cupcakes snugly inside, stapled them & added a little sticker. It could be a cool way to sell them in small quantities over the summer. Maybe I'll come up with a little stamp I can use to mark the bags as a product of mine!




Peeps snugly in their carriers.

We had a huge Easter feast for just 6 people: turkey, stuffing, twice-baked potatoes, asparagus, green beans, French bread, jello, THREE PIES (pecan, key lime, & vanilla creme), and my cupcakes. Oy.


My mom's delicious pecan pie - heavy on the pecans!


My desserts of choice: cupcake + key lime pie


Of course we can't forget my Easter basket & egg dyeing activities! My family is really boring when it comes to dyeing eggs. We all usually just make pretty combinations of colors without any fancy decorating. It's fine with me because they look great all the same.


I got to hand-pick the contents of my basket: gummy bears, Whoppers eggs, Cadbury caramel egg, green Peeps bunnies, and a dark chocolate Toblerone (my mom surprised me with that one). I didn't like the dark Toberlone so I switched my mom for the milk chocolate. My dad got a white chocolate one & I highly recommend trying it!

No comments: