Thursday, February 12, 2009

Strawberry Shortcakes



For Italian Night for Sunday Night Supper Club last week (see previous post), I wanted to do something lighter to go with our carb-heavy meal. I decided to do mini strawberry shortcakes, using vanilla cupcakes as the base. I got the recipe from my Cupcake daily calendar. I did cheat by looking ahead at a December recipe for a basic vanilla cupcake. I liked the density of the cake, but they dried out quickly. I'll have to add a little oil next time. I knew they had the possibility of drying out because the batter going into the cupcake tin was more like cookie dough than cake batter. I also forgot to pick up more cupcake liners at the store, so I just greased the cupcake tins. That could have contributed to them drying out.

I also bought some baker's sugar to see if it made a noticeable difference in my baking. It was almost the same price as regular sugar so I knew it'd be worth it. Boy, was it! My batter was so smooth and creamy; no grains at all! I will never go back.

To transform these into shortcakes, I sliced open the cakes and spooned some whipped cream on the bottom half, adding a couple of strawberry slices. I put on the top, then adding a bit more whipped cream and strawberries.

I'm trying to become a better baking blogger, so I tried to take pictures of the entire process of making these. I forgot most of the time, but hopefully I'll get better at it.


The ingredients, plus my heart-shaped measuring utensils to add a little love. :)


Beating the butter and sugar.


Cooling.


Yum!

No comments: