Friday, May 22, 2009

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie


(This is a very belated post; I just finished with school/finals, moved home, and am now on tour for a week-ish with my friend's band. Selected pictures here)

My grandparents have a rhubarb plant (technically my aunt & uncle's) and gave my mom about a pound to use as she pleased. They were pretty weakling stalks, not quite pink enough for my liking, but I couldn't resist making a strawberry rhubarb pie, especially with strawberries on sale at Rainbow the other week.

I found a recipe that showed promise (I forget where now) and set about making the pie with my mom.






The filling was kind of soupy so we ended up scooping some out so it didn't bubble over. It seemed to bake fine, with juices dripping out towards the end. We figured it was done, so took it out. Now, I didn't get a chance to try it (I scooted off to a concert at the last minute), but my mom said the pie was almost inedible, it was so soupy. We should have found a recipe that cooked down the filling first, then added it. Unfortunately the rhubarb plant won't produce enough for me to take any more home this summer, so I might have to hit up a neighbor or the co-op to try this again and hopefully find success.

No comments: