Sunday, November 9, 2008

P.TM P.TM P.TM P.TM P.TM

Just got back from the Portugal. The Man/Earl Greyhound/Wintersleep show at the Varsity. I'm not sure if I know where to start. Wintersleep was kind of good, with some great songs and some that were pretty blah. I loved Earl Greyhound. Super jammy & 70's... they reminded me of Across The Universe for some reason.

Then Portugal blew me away as always. They always tweak each song and play it a little different or add in a couple of jam interludes. They're just so powerful live; it's really hard for me to express it fully. They played "My Mind" and "AKA M80 The Wolf" of course, so I'm lucky to have such popular favorite songs. They always play songs off each record equally, except the It's Complicated Being a Wizard EP, but probably because that's a strictly electronic EP.

There were all kinds of people there. A kid with a glittery 6-inch mohawk, skater bros who were headbanging, and some normal people like me. I was glad to see a larger crowd for them this tour. Last time they headlined here, there weren't a lot of people.

They somehow all still remember me, so we chatted a little about the release and about random schtuff. I remembered that I'm going to be in Belgium next fall and they're alllllways over there, so hopefully I'll get to see them a couple times in a couple different countries. That would be great if it worked out!!

I am giving you a final chance to check them out, because from now on I'm just going to assume you know their stuff so I can blab about it to you. You're missing out if you haven't heard anything by them yet!

No comments: