Thursday, December 25, 2008

Best of 2008

Best Albums

10. Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend

I waited a long time to listen to this; I was afraid all the hype would be over nothing. I listened to this all summer and as I started classes again in the fall. I don't listen to it that much anymore, but I don't mind hearing a song here and there. Best Song: "Oxford Comma" because I love grammar so much.

9. Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago

I didn't know if I should count this because he self-released it in 2007, when I first started listening to it. Since everyone else is putting it on their lists, I'm following the crowd. Best Song: "Flume"

8. Anthony Green - Avalon

Another album I didn't think I'd like, but love now. Best song: "Springtime Out The Van Window"

7. Tokyo Police Club - Elephant Shell

I listened to this every time I drove the van at Gopher Grocery this summer. It was perfect to bop along to while driving a huge Dodge Sprinter. Best Song: "Centennial"

6. The Stills - Oceans Will Rise

I remember first hearing this band when I was a freshman in high school. This album is so much more sinister than their other two, and therefore more fun to listen/seduce people to. Best Song: "Snakecharming The Masses"

5. Portugal. The Man - Censored Colors

I had such high hopes for this album and they were met. It's not as good as Church Mouth to me, but still really great. The $90 pre-order package was the best money I spent all year. Best Song: "Lay Me Back Down"

4. Death Cab For Cutie - Narrow Stairs

"Talking Bird" might be the worst Death Cab song of all time, but the rest of the album makes up for it. Best Song: tie between "Bixby Canyon Bridge" and "Cath"

3. Cloud Cult - Feel Good Ghosts (Tea-Partying Through Tornadoes)

Something I randomly came across. I always choose this when I don't know what to listen to. Best Song: "Everybody Here is a Cloud"

2. Kings of Leon - Only By The Night

This is soooooo much better than that snooze of an album they released last year. Danceable, darker, this album helped them break out of their "Molly's Chambers"-type rut. Best Song: "Closer"

1. Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes

I barely have the right words to describe how I feel when listening to this album. It is so perfect in every way. I've ditched the pop-rock scene (as you can tell by this list) and this album is the cornerstone of this new phase of mine. Best Song: "He Doesn't Know Why"

Honorable Mentions:
- Radiohead - In Rainbows (I felt guilty including this because it was released online in 07, but came out on CD January 1st.)
- Sigur Rós - Með suð í eyrum við spilum endalaust
- The Kooks - Konk
- Copeland - You Are My Sunshine
- The Maine - Can't Stop, Won't Stop (Just a pleasure, not even guilty.)


Best EPs

3. Fleet Foxes - Sun Giant


2. Ben Kweller - How Ya Lookin' Southbound? Come In...

Every year needs a little Ben Kweller, and last year was sorely lacking. I can't believe I missed him playing here at the U for free.

1. Minus The Bear - Acoustics

Uhhhhh... shit. This would be #2 on my albums of the year if I combined this list. Amazing, amazing stuff. I can't get enough. I might be starting to like Minus The Bear more than Portugal. The Man... but shhh, don't tell anyone.


Best Concerts


5. Minus The Bear, Varsity Theater, October 15
4. Portugal. The Man, Varsity Theater, November 9
3. Death Cab For Cutie, Orpheum Theater, June 2
2. Kanye West, Union Center (Chicago), May 23
1. Fleet Foxes, Cedar Cultural Center, October 11

Honorable Mentions:
- Chris Conley & Matt Pryor, Triple Rock Social Club, August 6
- Have Heart & Ceremony, Triple Rock Social Club, November 7

Notable Local Shows:
- City of Sound, Farewell Continental, The Person & The People, Triple Rock, October 12
- Regret & Solidarity, The Fallout, October 4



Best Recipes
(What else would you expect from me?)


5. Copycat Levain Cookies
4. Special K Bars
3. Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins
2. Ginger Cookies
1. Sour Cream Sugar Cookies

Honorable Mentions:
- Key Lime Cupcakes
- Cake Balls
- Self-filled cupcakes

No comments: