Thursday, January 15, 2009

Kick It Up A Notch?

I was invited to be in the University Honors Program for my junior and senior years, something I declined when I was first admitted to the U of M. I don't know if that's something I want to do! I certainly haven't struggled too much in the classes I've taken so far, but do I really want to increase the difficulty level and workload with Honors classes? I would also have to complete a project to graduate with honors. I work two jobs already though, so I don't want to completely kill my social life and turn into a bona fide geek over the next two years. Plus, I don't know if it's possible to get enough honors credits in if I study abroad in the fall.

Overall, my mind is made up towards not joining the program right now. The kinds of jobs I'm interested in won't really care if I graduated with a couple Latin words behind my degree. However, I've been contemplating working for a food giant like General Mills after graduation. My uncle who works there said I should really consider a big company, even though I've rejected that idea from the start. He could put in a good word for me as well. I think I'll just need to talk to him about careers within General Mills that would intrigue me. A company like that would definitely be impressed with honors.

I guess I have until August to decide.

1 comment:

Kate said...

You basically just have to do one honors course a semester or do so many "experiences" or whatever. Fortunately studying abroad counts as one of these experience things so you don't have to worry about making up for it. The courses usually aren't too different... for example I took Honors Evolution and the only difference was that there were fewer people and we had two extra, super simple assignments. But then again I took Honors Intro Psych and it was a bitch and I got a B+ instead of an A that I could've easily gotten otherwise. I'm in honors right now but I'm probably going to get kicked out because of my GPA. But you may as well join it now if you're considering it because there's no penalty for dropping it, but it'll be tough to try to join later.