Saturday, February 28, 2009

Fresh Pear & Gruyere Pie



I totally ripped this idea off of the show Pushing Daisies, which regular followers of my blog know that I adore. One day I just couldn't resist my temptation to make it and headed to the grocery store. Gruyere is expensive!! I made the pie entirely from scratch, something I am very proud of. Making pie crust is pretty complicated but entirely do-able. Unfortunately, I forgot to add the cheese under the crust before baking and panicked while cleaning my hair and added the cheese on top before figuring out how much longer it would take the pie to bake. The cheese started to get crispy so I had to take it out before the center was really cooked enough. It was a learning lesson for sure. Next time I'll make sure to brush the bottom of the crust with egg whites to keep it from getting soggy.

The dessert was very grown-up and a lot less tart than apple pie, although it had a similar flavor. I love pears so I was very pleased with the taste. I was surprised at how much everyone else loved it, too! Something to consider when I open a bakery. Maybe I'll just do a pie shop like on my favorite show!


Ready to go in the oven!


I have an order for an apple pie so I'm going to apply all the lessons I learned with this first one!

No comments: