Friday, June 20, 2008

Family Dinner

A couple of times this week my mom has asked me to make dinner for the family. I definitely had some reservations, mostly because I don't like eating at the time my family does and she directs me to do it, not letting me choose the days. I know I lay around all day, but I'm much more likely to be productive all day to gear up to do something as consuming as making dinner. A couple of days ago I made apricot glazed chicken with asparagus and sweet potatoes, and today I made soy- and honey-glazed salmon with broccoli and peanut noodles. No one has complained about my choice of sides (only my mom and I like asparagus, sweet potatoes, and broccoli). The most surprising part is that the dinners have come out almost flawlessly and everyone has really liked what I made. Sure, I'd like to make mustard crusted salmon and a couple of other recipes, but I can save that for a dinner where it's just me and my mom or friends that will like more diverse things like that.

Making dinner all at once like this has really put things into perspective. I don't know nearly as much as I thought. I often feel overwhelmed and like everything is going to collapse all at the same time. I like baking much better, since it's just one thing I have to worry about at a time. Even though it's tough, I want to keep cooking dinner while I'm home for the summer so I can learn as much as possible while my mom is right there to answer my questions and fix my mistakes.

Possible dinner party brewing? Actually, probably not. I can see it happening once I'm away from home and near all my friends. Plus, I'm content being a hermit for now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who is being a hermit and liking it. I just wish people weren't mad at me for it. :(

also, you are such a textbook Cancer it is amazing.