Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Habitat for Humanity

On a whim last night, I agreed to tag along with my mom for her volunteer day of work at Habitat for Humanity. When I woke up at 6, I was definitely regretting the decision. Now back at home and freshly showered, I'm really happy I went. The drive up to Ramsey, MN was SO LONG, and so was the way back I guess. My mom and I worked on siding all day, which is a lot harder than I thought it would be. Mostly because the people who were working the day before did all the base stuff crooked so we had to rip it out and replace it and then put our own stuff in. That led to a lot of sitting around, waiting for Chad, one of the construction leaders, to figure out what went wrong and tell us how to fix it.

I also experienced first hand how construction crews really do listen to country music all day and chew dill pickle sunflower seeds.

Gained:
- Better hammering skills
- Patience
- Beet red legs
- Freckles
- Probably weight from our terribly unhealthy catered lunch (I chose: mac&cheese, tri-color pasta pesto salad, 2 1/2 cookies, whole grain roll, diet coke; I didn't choose: ham & potato salad, chicken parmesan, brownies, lemon bars, regular soda)

Two deays ago I went out to sushi and made cookies, yesterday I went to the beach and on a bike ride, today I was outside working construction. Sounds like summer (and plenty of distractions)!

No comments: