Thursday, September 11, 2008

The Drifter

I have always had trouble finding a solid group of friends I can count on. Sure, I have a lot of acquaintances and a few different good friends from all different places, but I don't have that group to rely on. I moved from MN to Kentucky in 1st grade and had my own group of friends there. Once I moved, they even dispersed and found their own ways. I guess I had been the glue.

Moving here the day before my freshman year of high school did me no favors. Everyone had their tight-knit groups from middle school and had made up their minds about every other person they had been going to school with for years. I was the newbie and finally found a good group. Then I changed groups because I wasn't really a part of them, and then that group has since dispersed based on different interests and lame drama.

I came to college with a clean slate and still had a hard time meeting people. I'm very introverted in classes, which doesn't help, and I don't really drink or party, eliminating for me most of the people I lived by in the dorms. Once again, I am lost.

All of my good friends have their own groups. Kim, Jackie, Aaron, Sara, Hunter, etc. They can go out with those people every weekend and guarantee themselves a good time. I haven't got that, which I have concluded could be the main source of my loneliness. No one else is wondering how their Friday nights will go; if they don't find something different, they can always go out with the same ol' folk.

I can't see myself finding a group any time soon, either. I just have such different values and look at life in such a different way than my peers. And I definitely don't belong in a book club for moms at this point, either.

So what's a girl to do? Spend Friday nights curled up with the remote, with an alarm set to get up for work at 5:45.

No comments: