Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Miel Y Leche Cupcake Meetup 3/14



I understand this blog isn't very timely, but these cupcakes need to be blogged about! I'm part of a Minneapolis Meetup group for the Cupcakes Take the Cake blog and we meet once a month at various places in the Twin Cities that make cupcakes. On the 14th, we hit up Mitrebox downtown at a much-too-early-for-a-Saturday-morning 10am for Miel Y Leche's undeniably fabulous cupcakes. For sale that day were vegan marble cupcakes (not pictured because not purchased), citrus bomb cupcakes with lime curd, lemon cake(?) and an orange buttercream, chocolate chip cookie with a cookie on the bottom and on the top, and the infamous Elvis cupcake with a banana cake, peanut butter marshmallow frosting, and a bit of bacon for garnish.

My favorite cupcake was definitely the citrus bomb. It was light and extra citrus-y. The lime curd filling definitely turned me onto curds... I have been itching to buy some lemon curd at the store and see what I can do with it! The chocolate chip cookie cupcake was dry and difficult to eat. I don't like chocolate chip cookies all that much, especially crispy cookies. The Elvis cupcake was good but a little disappointing due to my high expectations. The cupcake didn't have a strong-enough banana flavor and there wasn't enough bacon on top! Plus, I had made banana cupcakes with peanut butter cream cheese frosting just a few days before that were bursting with flavor & easily trumped these.



If I was a lot less lazy on Saturday mornings, I would come get some cupcakes every week. Unfortunately, I am a college student. This means that I both stay up too late on Friday nights and have no money to spend on such things. Maybe I'll try for once a month.

1 comment:

Rodney said...

The cupcakes do rock, but their catering lacks planning. We agreed to 150 guests with them, 119 showed up, but we still managed to run out of 5 of the 7 dishes they served.

Just a tip for anyone considering them. I'd recommend considering what you're getting for the price. Make sure you're comfortable with the amounts.