Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes with Chai Buttercream



Take a close look at that picture. Is your mouth watering yet? Thought so. This cupcake idea came from a long brainstorming session for the perfect cupcakes to bring to my hairdresser, Jared at Mezzanine Salon in the Seward neighborhood. He's vegan, so that presented a bit of a challenge for me, having never made vegan cupcakes from scratch. I don't know where I got the idea for chai buttercream frosting, but there were a couple of recipes online I could choose from. I ended up just using egg replacer in a standard chocolate cake recipe, probably a bad idea. The cupcakes ended up really sunken & sticky like this:



The buttercream frosting required using extremely strong chai tea, an idea I figured would be cheaper than buying a $10 bottle of cardamom. The flavor was present but light, due to all the powdered sugar that needed to be used to make this less like a soup and more like a thick frosting. It never did get thick, but refrigerating it made the frosting usable.

I made a 13th cupcake simply for the sake of sampling, so I know it at least tasted great. I hope my hairdresser liked them just as much!

No comments: