Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Tum Rup Thai Review

A & I went to Tum Rup Thai in Uptown last night (my treat) because he was willing to eat anything and I was craving Thai. We got there and few people were in sight - I will admit that it was 9:30. We were seated immediately, but it took them a while just to get us some water. There must have been a mix-up with the waiters because two different ones greeted us separately. The waitress we ended up with was very awkward and unassertive. I did have to delay her a few times until I decided upon what I was ordering, but it took her a full five minutes to come back after I had made my decision. I also disliked the extremely low lighting - I could barely see the color of my food when it came out!

I went with the Gaeng Kiow Wanh (Sweet Green Curry) with chicken, while A went safe with Pineapple Fried Rice with chicken. We had looked at the menu online before going and I had chosen the restaurant because it seemed less expensive than the surrounding Thai restaurants, but both entrees were listed on the menu at a full $2 over what was listed online. That makes a huge difference on a college student's budget.

The food didn't take too long to come out, but we were some of the only customers there anyway. My curry was really delicious - the melange of vegetables was exactly what I was in the mood for. The pineapple fried rice was pretty good - except that there were only a few chunks of pineapple on top of the dish and none mixed throughout. Amazing Thailand's version completely blows it out of the water; it is my gold standard for the dish in the Twin Cities.

Overall, the service was lousy and the food was overpriced. Granted, it wasn't all that expensive, but I could have gotten bigger portions for less at other places. And turn those lights up!

No comments: