Monday, March 9, 2009

Pies, Pies, Pies



I have developed a passion for making pies. I think it originally stems from my passion for Pushing Daisies and Ned's passion for pie making. It takes so, so, so much work but is completely worth it. There is nothing like spending an afternoon peeling & slicing fruit and making a crust by hand. I don't like to toot my own horn, but I make the all-time best pie crust. It's out of this world. Unbelievable. Even though I should refrain from eating the stuff, I try the little nibbles of dough left behind on my rolling surface and make sure I have extra crust with no regard to the filling inside. Pies will definitely be something I offer in my future bakery. There's just so much joy in making them.

Last week I made a nice rustic pear tart, recipe courtesy of Ellie Krieger on Food Network. The dough recipe was a little different and turned into difficult dough to work with, so I'll be sticking with my own recipe from now on. The pear filling wasn't outstanding, which is to be expected when you make a "healthy" pie. I topped it with shavings of Gruyere and it was perfect. I love that flavor combo.




Last night for Sunday Night Supper Club's Southern theme, I made an apple pie. I was originally going to sell it to a friend but it didn't work out, leaving me with 6 apples just begging to be sugared. Something very exciting happened for me while I was peeling these apples - I peeled one in one long strip! I have always been jealous that my mom can do that and now I am right on par with her, a true accomplishment. Despite that, I would really like an apple peeler.



Last time I made a covered pie, I didn't quite get the filling cooked enough. I was a little more patient this time, resulting in almost-completely-perfectly-done apple filling. I'll get it next time! The smell was heavenly and everyone truly enjoyed what I had made.

No comments: