Monday, October 13, 2008

Day 5 of the No Wheat, Dairy, Soy Diet

THIS IS IMPOSSIBLE. I am in tears half the time because I'm starving and the other half of the time I'm in tears because I want a cookie or some pasta or a meal bar that contains soy. I have next to no edible food left in my cupboard. I gave away all my bread, pasta, fig newtons, pasta sides, mashed potatoes, etc. Last night I resorted to eating a can of tuna with spicy mustard mixed in. It was fine & everything, but I needed a whole MEAL!

This is just so hard because food is my life. I love trying new things and creating new things and baking and cooking. The only restaurant I can eat at anymore is Chipotle, and then I can't even have cheese or sour cream in my bol. It's hard to bring lunch to class because I'd have to find a microwave for whatever rice dish I want to make. It's hard to find stuff to buy for lunch because it's just all sandwiches and salads with cheese and crackers and soy-based protein bars. I am going to have to invest heavily in nuts, dried fruits, & rice noodles tonight when I go to Trader Joe's with my mom. Hopefully they'll have some rice, oat, & tapioca flour waiting for me.

I bought a Larabar for $2 today. It was just dried cherries, dates, almonds, & cashews. It was pretty good, but not filling in the least. It made me think about the raw food diet, which I did a project on my senior year. It's very interesting, but kind of hard and expensive to do. It's difficult to get enough protein when you don't have a sprouting pan or dehydrator. Aaron saw the future and bought me a raw food "cook"book for my birthday last year, so I'm going to flip through those recipes to get some ideas for what else I should buy for groceries.

I'm meeting with the nutritionist again tomorrow to get help figuring out how to eat well with so many restrictions.

No comments: