Sunday, October 26, 2008

Savings?

My mom gave me some of my treasury bonds that my grandparents have been giving me since I was 3 years old. Now, these things used to mature in 7 years. None of my bonds will be mature until 2025 or later. 2025, and I was given them in the mid-90's. I'm going to cash them at their current value just because 17 years is too long to get $8 more out of each. I also thought about putting some money in a CD, but even those interest rates aren't worth locking up a grand for a year. My savings account isn't there to gain interest; it's there to make a physical barrier between cash I should spend and cash I shouldn't.

No wonder no one in the country saves money. It's not worth it! There's no reward for not spending anymore since interest rates are so paltry. Maybe if that was fixed, the entire world wouldn't be entering a recession.

No comments: