Thursday, October 30, 2008

The Mess Maker Baker

Busy at work tonight. By work, I mean my kitchen, doing what I love the most.
Made: ginger cookies, cookies & cream cupcakes, more granola, and popped some popcorn by hand. Tomorrow I'll be frosting more cupcakes, making rocky road brownies, and turning that popcorn into candy corn popcorn balls for a party on Friday.




I really am the mess maker baker:


...This is after I did most of the dishes.




That quote from my last entry really applies. I'm staying up late but I'm making $$$! And I couldn't be happier to be losing sleep on this.

Today in Entre Club I was introduced to the president of Granite City Restaurant & Brewery, who graduated from the Culinary Institute of Arts (aka my dream culinary school that will cost me $50,000 for 2 years). I asked him if it was worth it to go there and he replied that it was his best decision in his career. He is going to be putting me in contact with a recent graduate from their baking program. I'm so excited!

My aunt, also my massage therapist, offered to set me up with a session to pick her boss's brain - she also works for a "candy lady". She also said I could probably work there part time, but I don't know if candy is the avenue I want to go down. It wouldn't hurt to see how she operates her business, though! I also can't wait for that. I also NEED to go to Cooqi and check out the scene and see if I want to apply there.

Everything is starting for me! I think this is really what I want to do with my life. Tonight I learned how to make great icing and put it on a cupcake properly. I also experimented with some cookies and got great feedback from the guinea pigs, aka my roomies. Every time I bake a new thing, I love challenging myself and teaching myself new skills. This is all a learning process, so don't hate me if I mess up your order a little bit!

Today was a horrible day physically (I now have to sit in a chair to put on or take off clothes & shoes.), but all my baking and inspiration from Entre Club & the Entre major info session at Carlson really overcame that and made this one of the best days in a while.

No comments: