Monday, April 28, 2008

Affected/Moving Home

So I thought I would just kind of forget about the sexual assault that happened 2 floors above me in my dorm and go about my life as usual. However, as you know, one has a lot of time to think in the shower. I started to let my imagination get the best of me and thought of every creak I heard was a potential rapist or robber. I shook it off and was brushing my teeth when a girl barged into the bathroom unexpectedly. I jumped about 5 feet off the ground and almost choked myself with my toothbrush because I scared myself too bad. She seemed startled by me, too, and we laughed and talked about how it's kind of scary to go to the bathroom now. It would be very unlikely for something like that to happen again, but I'm betting that a lot of girls in my dorm are feeling just as wary.

As a result of the assault, Pioneer has also decided to close off access to all doors but the main doors. I would have no problem with this if the dorm wasn't laid out how it is. Here is my problem:

My dorm room is almost as far away from the main door as you can get. It takes at least 2 minutes to walk there. If I forget something as I walk out the door by my room [as long as I'm still allowed to walk out of it], I'm screwed. All I can say is that I'm glad that there I only have 2 1/2 weeks left living here.

But that means I have to move home. And I don't really want to do that. I like living on my own and being able to stay out as late as I want and stay where I want and let people stay over as long as they want. I like being able to sleep next to Aaron when he comes over, which is something he can't do when we're just at my house. I guess it's only 3 1/2 months that I will be home - wherever that ends up being once our house hopefully sells - but 3 1/2 months is a really long time if you think about it. :[

Negatives:
- less freedom
- sharing a bathroom with Kenny
- rules
- having to drive everywhere

Positives:
- not wearing flip flops in the shower
- fresh fruit!!!!! and healthy food for free
- big room & bed
- being able to cook

No comments: