Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Sick as a Dog/All Dogs Go To Heaven

So I feel sick as a dog, but apparently not as sick as my dog Bo is. He was so sick he couldn't lift his head Thursday night, but he bounced back after a visit to the vet. Today my mom got the bloodwork results back and found out he has cancer that is causing massive internal bleeding. We are putting him to sleep tomorrow and even though I was always distant with him (I have allergies... I'm not entirely heartless), I can't believe how sad I am about it. It's mostly because of my mom. He's her constant companion while she remains separated from my dad, and after tomorrow he won't be, and I don't know how she will deal.

He has always been a real fighter. First he was given to the Humane Society in Kentucky for a reason unknown to me, then neglected by our neighbors who adopted him from the Humane Society, then he lost one of his front legs when he was run over by a car just weeks before we moved to Minnesota. Now he's been limpin' around for the past 6 years or so and he doesn't mind one bit. He is the best dog I have ever met, and I'm sure that you've met if you ever came to my house. He rarely barks, never licks, only bit my brother once because he jumped on Bo while the poor dog was sleeping, and loves being pampered and pet. I always warn(ed) friends before they came over not to pet him because his head will be permanently under their hand if they started to. He is an incredible companion. He even let me use walking him as an excuse to walk by the cute neighbor's house every day in the summer.

I guess this entry is my dedication to him, and my sincerest apology for rarely giving him the affection and time of day he deserves from me. I just hope I can make it home tomorrow before we put him to sleep, if he makes it through the night.



I loved Bo and I hope you did too. My cat is going to be really lonely now, and so is my whole family.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

im so sorry baby.

i know he'll have 4 legs up there.

i love you