Monday, April 28, 2008

Environmental Friendliness

I'm in Biogeography and we're talking about the effects of global warming and human activity on the rest of the earth. I've been thinking lately about how I feel about it and what I can do. I support green products, ideas, and actions, but I realized I wasn't engaging in them much myself. I recycle my water bottles, drink soy milk that is powered by wind, and walk or take the bus to school, but it stops right about there. The clothing I buy is just a good idea for me because it's cheap and cute, but how is that affecting the rest of the world? It's supporting low-wage labor factories in poor countries and those factories might be very harmful on the atmosphere. I am going to try to do my part and spend the little extra money to buy products that are more environmentally safe. Before I buy any other type of clothing, I'm going to buy some organic cotton t-shirts or a dress or something like that. It's really hard to find affordable things that meet the criteria, though. I've subscribed to a couple blog feeds that focus on sustainable fashions and that's definitely opened my eyes. Hopefully one of these days I can strike gold.

I bought natural body wash yesterday that cost twice as much as the softsoap exfoliating body wash I wanted, but that's just $2.50 extra. Maybe that will inspire me to use less and waste less, saving me money in the long run. Now, the ingredients used aren't organic or anything, but all are found naturally in the environment. I'm going to stay on the lookout for more stuff like that and I plan on buying more organic food when I move into my own place and start buying my own groceries.

Even though people can speculate on the actual human impact on global warming/climate change, doing better for the environment can't hurt. We don't know how our actions will affect how the world will be in 100 years so I'd rather be safe than sorry.

No comments: