Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mother's Day = Son's Day?

Mother's Day has not gone according to plan at all today. I really wanted it to just be me and my mom at Patrick's Bakery this morning but my dad & brother invited themselves along. Of course it was a lot of what I feel is my dad's judgmental comments and my brother trying to impress him or my mom. Then there was confusion with my mom's gift, where she thanked me and Ken for her watch, but it was my dad that bought it for her. He also didn't get her a mother's day card for the first time I can remember. I know he doesn't have to anymore, but he usually does anyway. And since it was the whole family plus pastries for my grandma and grandpa, I didn't pay for it like I wanted to so it could be my present. Then we went to Southdale to get some links taken out of the watch and to shop for a jacket for my mom. We ended up looking at clothes and stores for Kenny instead. My mom also gave him $2 to buy a truffle at Godiva... without giving me any money or anything. Or to spend on a truffle for herself. Then we went to Starbucks. I wanted to pay for coffee for me and her but she had a gift card. She also let Kenny get a bottled frappuccino thing. We went to Barnes and Noble so she could find a certain book for my grandparents, but also ended up buying a book for Kenny.

WHAT IS THIS???? She's always played favorites, with Kenny being the victor always. Case in point: this Christmas she insisted on no longer letting me have Santa presents, but he still got some to "catch up" to what I got as an only child. It wasn't like I got more presents during family gifts to make up for none in the morning. He got more gifts then, too. I understand they're paying for my college, but they'll be paying for his, too. Probably more because I worked my butt off to get as many scholarships as possible so they wouldn't have to pay very much. End of story: today is not Kenny Day. I wanted to show my mom lots of love and appreciation and buy her something and spend some time with her but it didn't even happen :(

Since I've been home we've gone to Target, to the movies (+ popcorn & pop), Macy's, Taco Bell, Jimmy John's, Barnes & Noble, Patrick's Bakery and Starbucks. I don't think my family is very worried about money anymore. I would much rather stay in and eat little family dinners than go out for every meal. I prefer to only have the occasional meal out to treat myself.

I didn't really get anything important done yesterday and definitely nothing today, so I feel like I wasted another weekend. Tomorrow I've got 2 work shifts, but I should be able to kick out my final Philosophy paper in a couple hours at night. I don't think I need to do much else because I got a 48 on my Bio test!!!!!!! = no final.

zzz time before dinner (on the grill... not out).

No comments: