Saturday, May 31, 2008

New Job!!

Likes:
- Grocery shopping!!
- Judging the food that people buy. I especially like seeing if a person that orders a lot of frozen diet meals gets healthy food for the rest of their order.
- Relaxed atmosphere: after we're done packing orders, I can go home or stay and do chores. I like doing chores alone with no deadline.
- Boss & coworkers.
- The trust my boss puts in me. I'm treated as an Assistant Manager already.
- Our vans are named Juicy & Fruit.
- Free water & granola bars.
- Having half a day after work to do whatever I want (Read: long, long naps)

Dislikes:
- Waking up at 6.
- Driving 30 mins each way to get to work every day.
- Getting lost on the way there AND back my first day.
- I'm terrified of driving our 2 big vans.
- I'm working on my own most days I work and that still terrifies me.
- I feel like I have to be as good as everyone else already because of the expectations I feel are put on me. I could be making them up, however. I'm really bad at speaking up about being scared, though, so a lot of these feelings are escalated by bottling them up.
- It's slow right now so it will be tough to be able to work every day I want to/am signed up for.


Tomorrow will be my first day shopping completely alone. My stomach is churning at the thought. Driving a giant van really intimidates me, let alone the pressure I put on myself to get things done as quickly as the other shopper. And if I mess up, there's no one to correct me right away, making it harder for us when we pack orders. I am just going to (try to) breathe and remember my boss thinks I'm one of the smartest people there.

Since I won't get to work every time I'm signed up, I'm going to look for another job for the 3 days of the week I'm never assigned to. I think I'll apply at Barnes and Noble. Maybe Brueggers. I just want to bike to this other job.

I could bike to my current job, I guess. I'd drive to the light rail, take it to the Metrodome, transfer to the 16 bus, and bike the 8 blocks to work off of the bike system. But my bike doesn't fit in my car and buses don't always come when you need them to. I also hate biking on the road.

No comments: